50 Golden Memories

St. Brendan’s Park FC (1971 – 2021)

The Founder Members

The following are the officers, first team, and founder members of St. Brendan’s Park FC.

Club officers Chairman: Percy Prendiville. Secretary/Treasurer: Gerry Clifford.
Manager: Denis Hehir.
Players: Teddy Brick, Tommy Sugrue, Brian Fitzgerald, Declan Walsh, Sean O’Callaghan, Tommy Nolan, Mikey Sheehy, David Diggins, Noel Kelter, John Joe Naughton, Timmy Clifford, Tom Prendiville, Pat Prendiville, John Cullinane, Timmy McAuliffe, Barry Noonan, Christy Leahy.

The first club jersey

The first official strip purchased by the club was the Crystal Palace outfit which we purchased in 1973. The story of our first Anchor Shield Victory in 1974. Killarney Athletic (who were holders of the trophy were our opponents in the final which was played in The Demesne in Killarney.

The First Anchor Shield Win

The story of our first Anchor Shield Victory in 1974. Killarney Athletic (who were holders of the trophy were our opponents in the final which was played in The Demesne in Killarney.

Mikey Sheehy opened the scoring for The Park but Killarney Athletic levelled shortly afterwards and took the lead just before half time when Dermot Brosnan netted. Despite strong pressure the Park refused to concede another goal and a fine break initiated by John Dowling put John Joe Naughton clear and he, in turn, placed Mikey Sheehy for the equaliser. The final whistle saw the team’s level at 2-2 and extra time failed to produce any further goals. The final was then decided on penalties with The Park scoring all their five whilst Athletic missed one.

Favourites to win league

The Park became favourites to capture the league title after inflicting, on Tralee United, their first league defeat of the season. We were now one point behind Tralee United, but had two games in hand and they were a point ahead of Caherciveen and had one game in hand over last year’s champions.

After a very even first half, which saw The Park turn over leading 3-2, the home side dominated the second half and were well worth the final margin of 5-2. Mikey Sheehy opened the scoring after ten minutes and John Regan levelled for United from a penalty shortly afterwards. Three further goals were scored before half time, two for The Park Mikey Sheehy and Josh White, and one for United from Mickey Curtin. United never got to grips with the situation during the second half and John Joe Naughton wrapped up the points for the home side with a fine run from the halfway line before easily beating Michael O’Connor and then tapping the ball past John Crean. Mikey Sheehy completed his hat-trick late in the game.

The Park go to the Top

Caherciveen  2 - 5  St Brendan’s Park

The Park went to the top of the First Division in March 1975 with a great victory over Caherciveen, while at the same time Tralee United slipped from the leading place for the first time in the season when going down in their second successive defeat in Killarney. The Park are now favourites to take the title for the first time.

Last year’s winners, Caherciveen, had to win to stay in the running and goals by Dominic Courtney and Jack O’Shea had them 2-0 ahead before Mikey Sheehy scored just before half time and hit the equaliser midway through the second half following a goalmouth melee. He went on to hit the winner in the final minute to record his second successive hat-trick in league games

The First Cup Win

St Brendan’s Park  6   -  0  Callinafercy              

A magnificent display by the Park saw them capture the Rose Cup for the first time when they beat Callinafercy 6-0 in the final in Tralee on Sunday last. The winners scored three goals in each half and their defence never looked in danger from a Callinafercy attack that was completely subdued after the first fifteen minutes. The Park started favourites and quickly went about justifying that tag. After ten minutes, from an indirect free kick inside the area, the ball came to John Joe Naughton and he opened the scoring. Seven minutes later a good move up the right wing saw Noel Kelter place David Diggins for the second goal. Up to this Callinafercy were giving as good as they got, with John Byrnes a constant threat up front, however they were now forced to come more and more into attack and this created gaps in the back which The Park’s lively attack accepted. A fine run and cross by David Diggins was headed against the crossbar by John Joe Naughton and Josh White, following up, headed home number three.

When John Joe Naughton scored his second and The Park’s fourth goal fifteen minutes into the second half the final was as good as over. Naughton had scored many goals for us, but his second goal was a classic. Noel Kelter won the ball on the right wing and avoided two tackles and continued his run which took him deep into the Callinafercy half. At this stage John Joe was screaming for the ball and Kelter’s delivery was with pinpoint accuracy. Naughton’s first touch was magic, he took the ball down with his right leg and blasted it to the net with his with his left leg to score one of the goals of the decade. The winners relentlessly kept attacking and added further goals from Noel Kelter in the 70th and 78th minutes.

Invitation from Munster

In the 1976/77 season The Park drew Cork side Hillington at home. The game ended in a draw and after extra time and included a missed penalty by Tim “Tiger” Slattery when the teams were still level. In the replay in Cork the home side were full of confidence but got the greatest football lesson of their lives and were lucky that the score was only 4-2 in the Park’s favour. This rates as the best performance ever by a Park team.

Munster Council Officials, who were at the game, were very impressed and invited the club to take part in the Munster Senior League. This was a great honour for the club, but it was financially impossible to accept the invitation.
In the semi-final Park were beaten by Fairview in Priory Park, Limerick on a blistering hot day.


Munster Junior Cup
The Park win after penalty shoot-out

St. Brendans Park 2-2 Killarney Celtic
(Park won 5-4 on penalties)

This game was a great advertisement for Kerry soccer with both sides playing open, attacking football that treated the supporters of both sides to a spectacular match for most of the 110 minutes played.
Celtic got off to a dream start after two minutes when they were awarded a free on the half-way line. Park were guilty of turning their backs on the play and the ball was floated to Dermot Lyne who seemed to be shooting for the far post, but the ball ended in the net at the near post.

Six minutes later Sean B. O’Callaghan ran on to a through ball from John Dowling and shot to the net from eight yards. Dermot Lyne was causing problems for the Park defence and was unlucky not to score on a number of occasions.
Park went 2-1 ahead in the 18th minute when John Dowling floated a free kick to the where Sean C. O’Callaghan headed home. Danny Diggins, Sean B. O’Callaghan, and Noel Kelter had the upper hand at midfield where Noel Kelter constantly out jumped Ray Hoctor. Tom O’Shea got the equaliser, and the goal of the game, in the 20th minute when he picked up a ball in midfield and raced through a hesitant Park defence to shoot an unstoppable shot to the net giving goal keeper, Johnny Conway, no hope of saving. Celtic were on top for the next fifteen minutes, but a lot of their hard work was wasted when their front runners were caught offside.

The second half continued where the first half finished with both sides going all-out for goals. The battle of the day was between Tim Leahy and Tom O’Shea with Leahy coming out on top. Frank O’Donnell, after a hesitant start, settled well and began to go forward more with the ball. Both sides had chances to the all-important winner. With Johnny Conway in superb form for the Park the best efforts from Celtic’s were well contained while at the other end Park were denied by the woodwork after some brilliant play by Liam Ronan.

It looked like Frank O’Donnell had scored the winner when he met a corner kick on the volley, but incredibly as Celtic player cleared the ball off the line. Michael Dempsey and Noel Kelter linked up well to open the play but were denied by a good save from the keeper. Michael Daly was only inches wide with a header, for Celtic, and the usually reliable Tom O’Shea miskicked from close range and the chance was gone.

Extra time produced no further goals with both sides showing signs of fatigue after the exhilarating ninety minutes. However, both sides could have scored, a superb effort from John Joe Naughton was narrowly wide and Tom O’Shea had an effort saved by Johnny Conway.
In the penalty shoot-out Johnny Conway saved Celtics third penalty and Tim “Tiger” Slattery ensured victory when he scored Park’s fifth penalty.

Three Senior Teams

As a club St. Brendan’s Park fielded three teams in 1986

The ‘A’ Squad
Johnny Conway, Josh White, Noel Kelter, Danny Diggins, Sean B. O’Callaghan, Tim Leahy, Joseph white, Mike Duggan, Liam Ronan, Bernard lynch, John Joe Naughton, John Dowling, David Diggins.
Manager: Christy Leahy.

The ‘B’ Squad
Noel White, Tom Hoare, Pat Finnegan, Timmy Sugrue, Mike O’Halloran, Piedra Dunworth, Mike Foley, Joe McMahon, Charlie McMahon, Pat Slattery, Cathal Sheehy, Mike Slattery.
Player/ Manager: Colm McLoughlin

The ‘C’ Squad
Anthony McAuliffe, Peter Switzer, Gary O’Reilly, Tony McLoughlin, Brian Kennedy, Mike Sheehy, Mike Hoare, Joe Donovan, T. J. Carmody, Paudie Barrett, Pat White, Paschal Sheehy, Alan Lane.
Player/manger: John Hoare

Park player to Captain Ireland

The club’s most regular international was undoubtedly “Chalkie” Joseph White, originally from St. John’s Park, Tralee. “Chalkie Joe” travelled all over the World with the Irish International deaf team. He is the holder of a World Cup Silver Medal which he won in New Zealand in 1989 when the Irish side created the shock of the tournament by beating hot favourites Italy (2-1) who had four players shown yellow cards for their aggressive play. Ireland went on to beat New Zealand (8-0) and South Korea (5-0) but unfortunately, they lost the final to England (5-0).

He captained the Irish team when they played in the 18th World Deaf Games in Denmark in 1989.
Amongst the teams in their group were Russia, Belgium, and Argentina, who had defeated the Irish Youths Squad two years earlier. “Chalkie Joe” was hoping to create his own bit of history by adding to his goal tally which reads 19 goals from 34 international matches and two more goals would have taken him into the Irish record books.

”Chalkie Joe” and his brother Larry, another prominent club member, who is a regular on the Munster Deaf side, followed in their father’s footsteps in starting their careers. “Chalkie Joe” won many domestic honours with the club before moving to Knock agree after getting married to local girl Eilish O’Keeffe.

Park win tense local Derby

Tralee Dynamos  0 - 1  St Brendan's Park 

At windswept Cahermoneen on a Sunday in May 1991 the elements conspired to turn a local derby game into a lottery and though the Park won this tense local derby against fierce rivals Tralee Dynamos not too many conclusions could be drawn from the contest. The game was dominated by Park in the first half with the elements in their favor while Dynamos had total superiority in the second half but failed to get an equaliser. A draw would probably have been a fair result but a combination of great Park defending and inept Dynamos attacking ensured that the Park held out.

The Park began better but lacked penetration up front where Derek McGuire was having an off day. Brian McCarthy and Kevin Lucey were booked in the first minute and Sean Morrissey was booked in the 10th minute. John O’Flynn was man of the match for his domination of Billy Kerins. In the 17th minute O’Flynn setup a chance for McGuire but John Browne, Dynamos keeper, held his shot well. Two minutes later Michael Clifford fired a shot just inches over the bar after turning his marker. Billy Kerins got free of O’Flynn’s shackles in the 28th minute to get in a shot on target but he was denied by the crossbar.

Park scored what was to be the winning goal in the 36th minute. The brilliant O’Flynn collected the ball in his own half and waltzed through the Dynamos midfield. As he was being closed, he sent a beautiful pass to Elisha Dowling, on the left wing, and he advanced on goal. John Browne came off his line to narrow the angle and Dowling slid the ball into the Dynamos net. The second half saw Dynamos completely dominate as Park decided to defend their lead which they did successfully thanks to John O’Flynn, David Stanton, and super sub Liam Ronan

Park: Conor McGuire, Josh White, John O’Flynn, David Stanton, Peadar Dunworth, Brian McCarthy, Tom Hoare, Ciaran McSweeney, Derek McGuire, Michael Clifford, Elisha Dowling, Thomas Kelliher, Liam Ronan.

Mikey Sheehy inspires Park Victory

St Brendan's Park 2 - 1 Callinafercy

A large crowd witnessed an excellent final of the inaugural Guinness Over 35 Cup at Tralee Dynamos grounds in Cahermoneen when a much fitter Park side, inspired by the legendary Mikey Sheehy defeated a game Callinafercy side 2-1. It was a fitting climax to a competition that was enjoyed by al 18 participating teams and from the reaction of the players spectators this competition that will grow in the years ahead.

The Park, managed by John O ‘Flynn, were the stronger outfit with many of their players still playing in the Premier Division in the KDL. But the man who stole the show was Kerry footballing legend Mikey Sheehy who controlled midfield. His passing and running into space caused havoc in the Callinafercy ranks and he looked the complete player despite having lost a few yards in pace. Sheehy seemed to lift his side at important junctures, and he bought the best out of Johnny Conway, Liam Ronan, Tim Slattery, Josh White, Michael Duggan, and Tim O’Brien.
Callinafercy contributed to a lively game but lacked a scoring forward with Ger O’Driscoll getting a very poor supply at centre forward. Frank Walsh was their best player at midfield while Gerry Foley, Moss Joy, Tom Johnstone and keeper Pat Clifford could not be faulted, and they missed the services of injured duo J. P. O’Sullivan and Johnny Connor.

The Park dominated the first half and should have scored in the 10th minute when Mossie Kelliher’s big cross was met by Michael Duggan but his shot was taken off the line by Gerry Foley. Then Ted Kennedy missed a half chance for Callinafercy before Park almost went ahead in the 16th minute. Sheehy went on a dazzling run and was taken down just outside the box. Like old times he floated the free kick, with a touch of magic, over the wall and it was bound for the top corner, but Callinafercy keeper Pat Clifford tipped the ball over the bar for a super save. Then Sheehy had another shot parried away by the keeper to deny Duggan who was closing in. Callinafercy were under great pressure and it took superb defending by Foley, Joy, Curran, and Walsh to keep the Park scoreless until half time.

Early in the second half Michael Duggan, Sean O’Callaghan and John Dowling all went close following good approach work by Mikey Sheehy and Josh White. Then in the 42nd minute Park took the inevitable lead. Tim Slattery and Josh White did the spadework down the left wing, Sheehy left the cross go to the far post where John Dowling drove the ball goalward and in an attempt to clear the ball Gerry Foley deflected it into his own net. Four minutes later Park increased their lead when Sheehy with a great through ball for Duggan to score and keep his record of having scored in every round of the competition.

To their Credit Callinafercy fought back, Ger O’Driscoll came to midfield and Tom Johnstone and Frank Walsh were playing better. Callinafercy scored in the 68th minute when a Ger O’Driscoll corner was not properly cleared by the Park defence and Gerry Foley scored a spectacular goal from just outside the box. Callinafercy tried hard for the equaliser but the Park defence stood firm until the final whistle. Both teams made huge contributions to what was an excellent final with all players giving their all, but Mikey Sheehy was undoubtedly the man of the match displaying that extra bit of class.

Park: John Hoare, Mossie Kelliher, Johnny Conway, Liam Ronan. Tim Slattery, Sean O’Callaghan, Mikey Sheehy, Josh White, Tim O’Brien. John Dowling, Michael Duggan.

Sub. Brian McCarthy.

Chips makes a meal of Celtic

St Brendan's Park  5 - 3  Sandyhill Celtic

St. Brendan’s Park FC had to recover from conceding a goal after fifteen seconds to eventually overpower Dublin side Sandyhill Celtic with a stunning second half display. The player they can thank most for navigating them into the last 32 for the first time in their history is big centre forward Michael “Chips” Clifford who scored two great goals. The game started in explosive fashion when, direct from kick-off, Anthony Keogh put Sandhill Celtic ahead as the Park defence dithered.

The home side then applied tremendous pressure but the visitors keeper, John Hennessy, saved y from Naughton, Clifford, and Lynch in the first twenty minutes.
In the 23rd minute Sandhill Celtic went two goals ahead when Anthony Keogh’s long throw was knocked down by Wayne Wright for Patrick O’Connor to fire home a great shot into the top corner. The Park had been playing well yet they were two goals down and the Dublin side held onto their lead till half time.

Early in the second half Hennessy made a terrific save to turn a ”Chips” Clifford header over the bar. The Park were now on fire and got a goal back in the 56th minute after a three man move when a Clifford shot was misjudged by the Dublin keeper and the ball ended up in the net. Sandhill just could not stem the tide of Moynihan, Naughton and Lynch and the inevitable equaliser came in the 67th minute when their defence froze as “Chips” raced through and though Hennessy brilliantly save his effort Tommy Naughton drove the rebound to the net from six yards. Sandyhill had a surfeit of “Chips” in the 75th minute when he beat three defenders before firing The Park 3-2 ahead. Gerry Lynch then made it 4-2 from a seemingly impossible angle before Owen Moynihan scored their fifth goal with a stunning shot from twenty-five yards. The visitors got a late consolation goal from Anthony Keogh but they long since raised the white flag.

St Brendans Park FC: Peter Williams, Ernie Lehane, Richard Healy, Kevin O’Regan, Dermot Ryan, Tommy Naughton, Paul Hourigan, Owen Moynihan, Karl O’Brien, Michael Clifford, Jerry Lynch

Reserves: Chris Caulfield, Gareth Clifford Billy O ‘Lehane.

FAI Junior Cup
Airmen Shot Down

Bremen  0 - 2  St. Brendan’s Park 

The ‘Babes’ from The Park shot down Dublin high-fliers Bremen in their own back yard to make it to the last 16 of the 1997 FA Junior Cup The aces from the air Corps were further stunned when they learned that seven of the St. Brendan’s starting eleven were under nineteen years of age. The real ‘Babe’ of the Park pack was Gareth Clifford who at sixteen years of age stands at 6’3” who scored a stunning goal from, midfield. St. Brendan’s have benefited from the blossoming talent of a schoolboy side that reached the semi-finals of the FAI Under 17 Cup two years ago following which Ger Lynch got a trial with Crystal Palace. St. Brendan’s were only one of nine teams that made the last sixteen and among them were Ballymun United and Usher Celtic from Dublin and Munger Rangers and Fairview Rangers from Limerick. Elsewhere there was wins for Kilusty (South Tipperary),t. Anne’s (Carlow) Passage (Cork) and Hibs (Galway).

Castle Bar Cup Final
Park start Millennium in Style

St Brendan's Park  3 - 1  Lisselton Rovers

A large crowd turned up at Mounthawk Park to see the first Kerry District League Final of the Millennium. On the day the Park proved stronger and won in what was a great advertisement for Kerry Soccer.
Rovers started strongly, aided by the breeze and Timmy Foley came close to scoring in the third minute. Sean Linnane was denied by a Mike McCannon tackle a minute later as the North Kerry side pressed again.
However, the Park came more into the match and in the 9h minute Darren Aherne sent over a low corner and Lisselton were punished for not clearing first time when Padraig ‘Poga’ McCannon scrambled the ball home. The Park went further ahead in the 17th minute when a long throw-in by Darren Aherne was superbly volleyed to the net by David Conway.

Lisselton stepped up a gear after these setbacks and dominated the second quarter. In the 26th minute Stephen McSweeney put Timmy Foley through with a defence splitting pass, but Foley’s shot was brilliantly tipped around the post by Danny Leane in goals. In the 30th minute David Conway headed a Martin Enright effort off the line. Lisselton were denied by the woodwork in the 41st minute when Sean Linnean curled a brilliant free kickaround the Park wall, but his effort crashed off the crossbar.

Rovers continued to press in the second half and Stephen McSweeney was denied by another Danny Leane stop. However, in the 50th minute Park sealed the win with a sweeping move. Damien Reid put David Conway away down the wing and Conway pulled the ball back to Richie Greer and in a lightning move Greer turned and curled a superb shot into the top corner from twelve yards.
Lisselton, to their credit continued to play some excellent football and were nearly rewarded three minutes later when Steve Connaughton had a goal bound shot headed off the line by Mike McCannon. The North Kerry side continued to press but the Park defence, under the leadership of Adrian Quirke, defended well. They were finally breached in the 76th minute when Stephen O’Connor crossed to Timmy Foley, but Danny Leane tipped over Foleys header. Lisselton finally scored from the corner when John Houlihan bundled over Marten Enright’s corner kick over the goal line.

The Park introduced a number of substitutes at this stage to stifle any further efforts from Rovers. In a hectic last ten minutes both sides had chances, but the Park always seemed in control and held out to capture the first trophy of the millennium.
In a post-match ceremony, the trophies were presented in a packed Castle Bar. Adrian Quirke, the Park’s outstanding centre half was awarded the man-of-the-match trophy which was presented by sponsors Adrian and Gerrard O’Sullivan.

Park; Danny Leane, Mike McCannon, David O’Leary, Timmy Lynch, Adrian Quirke , David Conway, Damien Reid, Poga McCannon, Darren Aherne, Tommy Naughton, Richie Greer. Subs; Paul Hennebery, Danny Diggins and Owen Moynihan for David Conway, Tommy Naughton.

Lisselton Rovers: Gary Fitzgerald, Edward Houlihan, Stephen O’Connor, Steve Connaughton, Anthony Doyle, Sean Linnean, John Houlihan, Stephen McSweeney, Martin Enright, Timmy Foley, Chris Enright.
Sub; John Enright for Stephen O’Connor.

The Academy

In response to growing demand we started our Academy in 2002. This academy caters for the up and coming stars of the future, starting at under six and has a cutoff point of nine years of age, and runs every Saturday.
When we started the Academy, it would run in conjunction with the schoolboys/girls season (September to May) which was the coldest time of the year so another major decision was made to run the Academy from March to October and it has been a major success that has been welcomed by all involved, particularly the parents and guardians of the children.
Our Academy continues to grow each year providing a wonderful opportunity

Success at schoolboy’s level

St. Brendan’s were formed in 1971 and have progressed from having one team to present day when the club has a massive 14 teams ranging from under 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, youths and two junior teams
Since 1971 the club has won every honour ion Kerry Soccer at every level.
In recent times the success starved junior teams have had to leave the limelight to the schoolboys section of the club, who were generously sponsored by Tralee Credit Union, who under the guidance of the excellent schoolboys committee, spearheaded by John Dowling, have been particularly successful over the last two seasons as can be seen by seen from the following statistics for last season:
Under 9 Cup and League Winners, under 10 league runners-up, under 11 Cup and League runners-up, under 12 cup winners and league runners-up, under 13 cup winners and league runners-up, u13 cup winners and league runners-up, u14 cup winners, u 15 league champions and runners-up in the under 16 league.

Castle Bar League Cup
Battle of the Park

St Brendan's Park ‘A’  4 - 2  St Brendan's Park ‘B’

Cup competitions often throw up some unique fixtures and this Castle Bar League Cup game in Cahermoneen was certainly a strange one, pitching Park ‘A’ against Park ‘B’ – teammates against teammates.
However, this didn’t stop the game from being a very competitive one and there was added spice in a closely contested ninety minutes with both sides very evenly matched. The skill level was high, with good passing movements.

The first half was an evenly contested affair, both sides trying to get their opponents measure while trying to settle into a playing pattern. It was soon obvious that The Park A had more attacking power and they looking more likely to make the breakthrough, this was thanks in part to the intelligent midfield play of Padraig McCannon and David Conway who sent a number of probing balls over the heads of the Park B defense for Owen Moynihan and Richie Greer to run onto. Greer was in terrific form and he was causing the Park B defence no end of bother. It was he who opened the scoring, in the 10th minute, when he latched a good pass from David Conway and lashed the ball past Tom Costello in The Park B goals. It was no more than the A side deserved as they had more penetration up front.

In contrast, The Park B side were working hard and putting together some excellent moves thanks to Daniel Bohane, Martin Courtney and Mark Greensmith, but they were unable to get past The Park A defence where Timmy Lynch and Adrian Quirke were rock solid and many passes by Park B were intercepted.
However, the Park B side kept trying and got their reward when Mark Greensmith shot home the equalizer after good build up play by his teammates. Their joy was to be short lived as Park A’s potent striker Owen Moynihan restored the lead after the B defence had failed to clear the ball.

The second half promised to be a cracker with both teams upping their performance, but the first twenty minutes of the half belonged to the Park A who finally killed off their club mates. They put the pressure on from the start and extended their lead after just five minutes thanks to Richie Greer’s second goal. With the ball being moved across the pitch the Park B defence were caught out of position when Greer received the ball in the corner of the box, he moved forward, unmarked, and nudged the ball past the keeper who could only watch as the ball rolled into the net to give the A side a 3-1 lead.
At this stage the Park B were being pushed back into defence where Pa Baily and Noel Carr were working overtime to keep the A side out but further up the field the Park B midfielders were unable to keep onto the ball. With P. J. Houlihan and Adrian Horan pushing up and Paul Hennery working hard up the right wing there was constant pressure on the B defence.
It took a great save from Tom Costello to prevent Park A scoring their fourth goal when he turned a vicious low drive from Owen Moynihan around the post. The Park A continued, and they were awarded another corner in the 57th minute which was headed into the path of Adrian Quirke who blasted it to the back of the net from close range making it 4-1.

They could have scored another goal in the 75th minute when there were three attackers against one defender, but the chance was missed. Mark Greensmith brought the Park B back into the game when he scored his second goal. Green smith’s first effort was saved by Tommy Naughton in the Park A goals but when the ball came back to Greensmith his shot beat Naughton from a tight angle.
Park A responded immediately with Mark Ronan’s fierce shot being turned over the bar by Tom Costello who also saved another shot by Greer. Park B also raised their game and a great run by Barry Leahy set up a great chance, but the danger was cleared.

Park A: Tommy Naughton, Adrian Horan, PJ Houlihan, Timmy Lynch, Adrian Quirke, Paul Hennery, Mark Ronan, Padraig McCannon, Owen Moynihan, Richie Greer, David Conway.
Park B: Tom Costello, Noel Carr, Pa Baily, Liam Martin, Jonathan Conway, Daniel Bohane, Joe Duggan, Martin Courtney, Mark Greensmith, Barry Leahy, David Courtney

Munster Junior Cup Semi-Final
Park’s Fairy tale Run Over

Passage (Cork)  2 - 1  St Brendan's Park

The fairy-tale run by St. Brendan’s Park FC in the Munster Junior Cup was finished by a late goal by Passage of Cork when the sides met at Turners Cross in April 2002. A cracking game the Tralee side had several chances to take victory. They will bemoan the chances that they had. However, the Cork side could justifiably claim that they had some good goal scoring chances as well.
The Park, though, will be disappointed with the early stages in the game where they fell behind despite playing well, they were always playing catch-up. Passage will reflect that matters might have been different if they hadn’t scored the early goal. As Park were well un the game and had several good chances that they failed to take them and go out of the cup.

Just two minutes had been played when the Cork side took the lead. A free kick was conceded dangerously close to the goals and when the ball came in Adrian Whittle headed it to the net.
Park were shocked and took time to get back into the game, but Passage had several half chances but failed to take them. The Tralee side found their feet and with David Conway beginning to be a telling influence around the middle of the field, Park began to look impressive. More importantly, for the first time in the game there was a supply of ball going up to the strike force of Richie Greer and Owen Moynihan.

It was Moynihan who had The Park’s first chance of the game, but he shot narrowly wide and following this Darren Aherne forced goalkeeper Brian Beane into making a good save. Passage weren’t sitting back either and they also had chances which saw Tommy Naughton called into action on several occasions. Park were looking stronger at this stage and were dominating midfield, but the Passage defence was strong and limited The Park to several half chances. Darren Aherne was unlucky to see his shot stopped on the line by Beane and as half time approached Owen Moynihan looked to have levelled the game, but his shot was also cleared off the line.

The second half continued in the same pattern and although Passage were making inroads into the Park’s defence, they weren’t doing much with their attack as The Park’s defence was effectively keeping them out
Park’s persistence paid off and they levelled after ten minutes into the second half when a good cross by Paul Hennebery saw Owen Moynihan shoot low to the net.
It was a deserved equaliser, but Passage weren’t ones to sit back and Tommy Naughton was getting busy in The Park goals.

With ten minutes to go the game was settled when Passage scored their second goal. Again, it was from a free kick that caused the damage when the ball landed in The Park box Mullen headed home the winner. Park spent the last ten minutes camped in their opponent’s half, but Passage held out and almost scored a third goal on the break.

Park FC: Tommy Naughton, Martin Courtney, David O’Leary, Timmy Lynch, Adrian Quirke, David Conway Darren Aherne, Padraig McCannon, Paul Hennebery, Owen Moynihan, Richie Greer.

Denny Premier A
Park snatch it in a Cracker

Killarney Celtic  3 - 4  St Brendan's Park

Celtic Park, Killarney saw, arguably, the best two teams in Denny Premier A clash and, after a titanic battle, it was The Park who took the points, but they had to do it the hard way.
In a cracking game Killarney Celtic took a two-goal lead but it possibly happened too early as park had the time to get back into the game and this they did with a terrific display, inspired by Damien Reid.
Right from the kick-off both sides attacked and on a perfect pitch and blazing sunshine it was a great advertisement for Kerry soccer.

Celtic should have scored in their first attack, but Jonathan Sparling’s shot hit the crossbar while at the other end martin Spellman prevented Damien Reid from opening the scoring.
Celtic opened the scoring in the 15th minute when Denis Moriarty scored from a corner and it looked all over for the park when Sparling made it 2-0 in the 22nd minute.
Celtic tightened up their game as ark came at them and they succeeded in protecting their two-goal lead until the 40th minute when Adrian Quirke scored for Park and Damien Reid had the teams at 2-2 four minutes later.

At the start of the second half Spellman made a terrific save to deny Quirke and Celtic should have regained their lead but Moriarty shot wide of an empty net. Fifteen minutes into the half Reid put in a great cross for Greensmith to put park in front for the first time. Pak increased their lead when Reid finished a Timmy Lynch free to the net and with time almost up Peter McCarthy scored Celtic’s third goal.

Park: A. Deane, Martin Bowler, Adrian Quirke, Timmy Lynch, Brian Spillane, Brian Donovan, James Wall, Aiden O’Sullivan, Poga McCannon, Mark Greensmith, Damien Reid.

Sub. Declan O’Carroll for Donovan.

Shock for Park in Castle Bar Cup

Ballymac Bohs  4 - 2  St Brendan's Park 

On paper it looked as if Park would advance to the semi-final of the Castle bar Cup when they faced Ballymac Bohs who were playing their first season in the Kerry District League. They put a great team performance together to cause the shock of the season to date. Missing from the Park side were Timmy Lynch, David Conway, and David O’Leary but they still had an experienced team and were expected to win easily.

They were mistaken because the lower division side ran their socks off and knocked Park off their stride. Ballymac controlled the middle of the field where Larry Kelly, Paul Galvin and Cathal DeLacey were superb and up-front Mikey Collins and Michael Dowd were livewires. It took the Ballymac side some time to get into the game but Park had effort from James Wall that was narrowly wide before they took the lead when Damien Reid got a vital touch on corner to give them the lead.. Park failed to capitalise on their lead and Ballymac grew in confidence and Mikey Collins and Michael Dowd had half chances before a corner by Paul Sugrue, in the 38th minute, went all the way to the net.

Ten minutes into the second half Ballymac went ahead following a superb header by Larry Kelly and five minutes later they increased their lead from a Michael Dowd free kick. Park made in 3-2 in the 78th minute when James Wall headed the ball to the net. They could have levelled minutes later but Aidan O’Sullivan’s shot hit the cross bar and Mikey Collins put the game out of reach with a goal in the 89th minute.

Park: Darren Carey, Danny Carroll, Brian Spillane, Adrian Quirke, Mike McCannon, James Wall, Aidan O’Sullivan, Brian Donovan, Declan O’Carroll, Damien Reid, Mark Greensmith.

2003 - 2005
St. Brendan’s Park A

Darren Carey, Kevin Cunningham, Timmy Lynch, Martin Courtney, Mike McCannon, Brian O’Donovan, Tommy Griffin, Adam Moore, Mark Tangney, Poga McCannon, Aidan O’Sullivan, James Dunne,

under 13 National Cup
Superb Victory for Park

St. Patrick’s Athletic  0 - 2  St. Brendan’s Park 

Tralee side St. Brendan’s Park FC travelled to Richmond Park, Dublin in February 2004 to take on
St. Patrick’s Athletic and pulled off a tremendous victory to advance to the last 16 of the FAI National U14 Cup.

With St. Pats unbeaten all season in the Dublin District Schoolboys League, the home side were hot favourites to advance, but a tremendous performance by The Park saw them upset the odds and secure a well-deserved victory.
It was a wholehearted team effort by the Tralee side but key performances from keeper John Higgins,
midfielders Barry John Walsh, Mark O’Sullivan, and Denis McElligott helped push The Park through to the next round. The Park started well and took the game to St. Patrick’s Athletic in the first five minutes. Alan O ’Donoghue’s shot well saved by James Byrne in the Pats goal.

The home side, aided by a strong wind, came more into the match after this and dominated for long periods of the first half, but The Park defence and goalkeeper were in top form. Twice John Higgins saved well from Paddy Matthews and in the 15th minute Matthews looked destined to score , only for Park defender Denis McElligott to throw himself across the goal and block the shot.
St. Pats continued to press over the next ten minutes and had shots from Keith Handling, Noel Haverty and Jermain Mussain but John Higgins was equal to all these efforts and Park looked comfortable.

Park lifted the siege in the 25th minute when Tadgh Mackessey had a shot saved by the Pats keeper, but the Tralee side were finishing stronger and scored just before half time. Mackessey held onto possession under pressure and when Mark O’Sullivan made a run into the box, he slotted the ball inside to O’Sullivan, who blasted low to the corner of the net.

As expected, St. Pats burst out of the blocks in the second half looking to grab a quick equaliser, but the Park defended well and in the 8th minute they doubled their lead with a bizarre goal. A long clearance up field from Daniel Moriarty saw the St. Pats keeper, James Byrne, come off his line to collect the ball and hesitate, allowing the ball to bounce over him and into the empty net.

This gave the Tralee side the breathing space they needed but the Pats side never gave up and continued to push forward. Daniel Moriarty had to clear off the line after John Higgins had lost the ball, but in general The Park side were disciplined and controlled in defence. But the Dublin side weren’t finished yet and Barry Commane and Anthony Shanahan had to work hard to keep them out. Higgins made several good saves to deny Philip Boyle and Waren Beale, while half chances by the Tralee side to finish off the game were no taken but Park can look forward to the next round after a well-earned victory.

Park: John Higgins, Daniel Moriarty, Alan O’Donoghue, Anthony Shanahan, Barry Commane, Denis
McElligott, Mark O’Sullivan, Barry John Keane, Alan Sanker, Kevin Moroney, Tadgh Mackessey.

Substitutes: Barry Shanahan, Clive O’Sullivan, David Noonan, Eddie Healy, Paul Barrett, Sean Foley, Ross O’Callaghan.

Greyhound Bar Cup
Park come Under Pressure

St Brendan' s Park  4 - 3 Currans

The Park advanced to the Greyhound Bar Cup Quarter Final by beating Currans in Tralee at the end of
February. On paper, the Park were strong favourites for this encounter and took to the field in a sparkling new kit sponsored by Adrian and Gerrard O‘Sullivan of the Castle Bar. However, Currans took no notice of reputations and they stormed the Park goals and went ahead after two minutes. Cathal Daly was fouled on the left wing and ex-Kerry footballer Kieran Scanlon fired in a tremendous thirty yard free to give the visitors the shock lead. They should have doubled their lead in the 10th minute when James Flynn put Leonard McEnery through, but the striker shot over the Park goals.

Gradually, the Park began to come more into the game via Aidan O’Sullivan and Poga McCannon, twice in the first twenty-five minutes, they hit the Currans post following corners. The Park deservedly levelled matters in the 26th minute when David O’Leary finished another sweeping Park move to the Currans net.
However, Currans didn’t lose hope and regained the lead on the half hour when Kieran Scanlan intercepted a defensive pass and hit a cracking shot into the top corner of the net. Park rallied again and levelled matters before the break. Tommy Costello started a good move down the wing, crossing to James Dunne at the far post and he set up Aiden O’Sullivan to fire the Park level at the interval.

The Park played with the strong easterly wind in the second half and took the lead after two minutes when Timmy Lynch headed in a corner kick.
The Park upped the tempo after this thanks to strong displays from Martin Courtney and James Wall in
midfield. However, Philip Carey and John Daly played well at the back for Currans to curtail the Park’s
chances to a minimum. Nevertheless, the Park struck again in the 70th minute. Poga McCannon squared a ball to James Wall who hit a vicious drive from thirty-five yards which the Currans keeper Kevin Moran did well to save but James Dunne was on hand to shoot home the rebound to put Park 4-2 ahead.

The Tralee side looked on the way to the quarter finals, but Currans had other ideas. They kept their composure and pulled a goal back in the 86th minute when Noel Crowley found John Flynn at the back post with a measured cross. Park keeper Darren Carey did well to save but was unable to get a hand on Flynn’s shot from the rebound .
Currans tried hard to snatch an equaliser in the closing minutes but could not find a way through the Park rear guard.

Park: Darren Carey, Mike McCannon, Tommy Griffin, Timmy Lynch, Joe Duggan, Tommy Costello, James Wall, Martin Courtney, David O’Leary, Poga McCannon, Aiden O’Sullivan.

Substitute; James Dunne for Joe Duggan

2005 - 2006
St. Brendan’s Park A

Kevin Cunningham, Tommy Moriarty, Johnny Keane, Denis McElligott, Mike McCannon, Timmy Lynch, Tommy Griffin, Joe Duggan, Tommy Costelloe, James Wall, Martin Courtney, David O’Leary, James Dunne, Poga McCannon, Mike Duggan, Niall Feehan

Golf Hotel Youths Cup Final
Victory for nine-man Park

St Brendan's Park  2 - 1  Tralee Dynamos 

Kerry soccer certainly was not the winner in this contest. Some of the incidents that took place had nothing to do with sport. At the outset I have to say that the referee Kevin O’Regan had a marvellous game. He took appropriate action on the incidents he saw, but he just could not act on incidents happening behind his back. Most of the first half was an excellent cup match played in pouring rain and both sides adapted well to the conditions and played fantastic football.

That was until the first incident took place that would drag Kerry soccer back into the dark ages. Comments from the stand seemed to enrage a Park FC player who appeared to throw a punch at a spectator and was shown the red card by the referee. A second Park player was then red carded, allegedly for being spat at.
The third part of this disgraceful trilogy involved a Park player and a Tralee Dynamos official. Comments were passed that were not complimentary and we had the upsetting scenario of a player being restrained by a teammate from going in the direction of the side-line where the official was standing. On this occasion the referee produced a yellow card. Obviously, the Kerry District League will take appropriate action based on the referee’s report.

On the positive side of this encounter we had three goals in the first half. A David Rogers cross was headed to the net by Con Barrett in the 20th minute to give Park the lead. They held this lead for minutes until James McIntyre rifled a brilliant free to the top corner from twenty-five yards. The final goal of the half and the match was scored by Stephen Moriarty in the 41st minute when he drove a pile driver from thirty yards that took a wicked deflection end route and gave Chris Hegarty no hope of saving.

Park; Tommy Moriarty, Johnny Keane, Daniel Moriarty, Denis McElligott, Rory Kelly, David Rogers, Stephen Moriarty, Joe Wall, Con Barrett, Eric Boylan, Kieran Hurley

Golf Hotel Youths League Final Replay
Park make it Four in a Row

St  Brendan's Park FC  2 - 1  Killarney Celtic

Memories of the drawn game were quickly forgotten because of the competiveness and high standard of play by both sides. This was a thrilling game capably refereed by Seamus O ’Mahony and his assistants Mike Dempsey and Kevin Cunningham.

Celtic put a fine move together in the 6th minute when Billy Goulding, Alex Courtney and Chris Brady sliced their way through park’s midfield but the final shot by Steven Devaney was held by Kieran Hurley later Sean O’Brien was in denied by Higgins. Park’s first real chance came from a long throw in by David McLoughlin in the 25th minute-built David Courtney shot over the bar. Minutes: later the Celtic keeper, Denis Sheahan held a shot from Fergal Maunsell with Wayne Conway applying ariel pressure.
In the 24th minute Chris Brady was fouled on the edge of the penalty area and from the resultant free kick and as Park were getting their defensive wall in position James O’Donoghue rifled the all to the net. They held their lead for six minutes before Park equalised with a stunning goal from David McLoughlin with a viciously dipping shot from twenty-five yards.

The standard of play dropped a little in the second half which was dominated by The Park during which the Celtic keeper, Denis Sheahan made a superb save from a David Courtney shot.
The Park nearly paid the price for sloppy defending in the 68th minute but Sean O’Brien missed from eight yards with only the keeper to beat.
With four minutes left to play Park were awarded a penalty when a Celtic player handled the ball in the penalty area and David Magee gave the keeper no chance of saving his clinical spot kick that gave the Park their fourth consecutive title.

St. Brendan’s Park FC: Kieran Higgins, David Magee, Graham O’Leary, Paul Barrett. Kieran Hurley, Fiachra Mangan, Fergal Maunsell, David McLoughlin, Wayne Conway, David Courtney, Gary O’Connor, Subs: Aaron O’Connor, Tommy Moriarty, George Bastible.

Killarney Celtic: Denis Sheahan, Jonathan lyne, Alex Courtney, Terence Moriarty, David Murphy, James O’Donoghue, Chris Brady, Billy Goulding, Sean O’Shea, Steven Devane. Subs; Mike Griffin, Robert Watson, Presley Dube

2009 - 2010
St. Brendan’s Park A

Dara O’Brien, Kieran Hurley, Ross O’Callaghan, Paudie Bailey, Paul Barrett, David Clifford, Graham O’Leary, Eoin McMahon, Greg Healy, Pa McCarthy, Con Barrett, Joey O’Connor, David McLoughlin, Graham O’Sullivan, Ruairi Keane.

Kerry Area Final Munster Junior Cup

Lisselton Rovers  2 - 1 St Brendan's Park

In January Lisselton Rovers and St. Brendan’s Park FC met in the Kerry Area Final of the Munster Junior Cup during which Park’s Mark O’Sullivan was the creative midfielder who was instrumental in many of their attacks, particularly in the first twenty minutes, during which time they applied severe pressure on the Lisselton defence. The game flowed from end to end with Pa McCarthy and David Clifford exchanging chances with Ouro Akokaro Moussirine and Chris Kerins. Park took the lead in the 25th minute when Fergal Maunsell laid off the ball to O’Sullivan whose pass to McCarthy was inch perfect who sidestepped a challenge from Karyl Holland and then chipped the ball over David Hennessy as he came off his line.
Park should have increased their lead three minutes later Clifford was put through and his well struck shot looked destined for the top corner but Hennessy showed why is was one of the best keepers in Junior soccer by making an incredible save.

Moussirine scored the equaliser from the penalty spot five minutes into the second half. The momentum was now with Lisselton and the winning came in the 62nd minute. After Hennessy saved a shot from Maunsell and quickly released the ball to Stephen Conway out on the right wing. Conway took control of the ball, took two steps, and struck for a wonder goal from forty yards that dipped viciously into the net. Park were reduced to ten players for the final quarter of the game during which time Lisselton wasted glorious chances to add to their lead.

Lisselton Rovers: David Hennessy, Edward O’Sullivan, Chris Wallace, Karyl Holland, Kenny Ward, Steven Conway, Shane Doolan, Chris Kerins, Ouro Akokaro Moussirine, Damien Wallace, Barry O’Hehir.

Park: Darragh O’Brien, Martin Bowler, Con Barrett, Owen McMahon, Shane Brosnan, Fergal Maunsell,
Adrian Quirke, David Clifford, Chris O’Sullivan, Pa McCarthy, David McLoughlin.

Denny premier A League Final
Late Late show by Park

St. Brendans Park  3 - 3  Killarney Celtic

With four minutes to go in this drama filled encounter the most unlikely result was a draw, because at that time Killarney Celtic had a two-goal lead. Like all good thrillers this encounter kept supporters of both sides intrigued up to the final whistle. The first half was all one-way traffic with the Killarney side dominant ion all sectors. They took the lead in the 10th minute when John McDonough took a short corner to Chris Brady whose cross was headed home by Geratus Poketaurus.

Killarney Celtic doubled their lead in the 58th minute when Poketaurus slotted a Stephen Hayes shot to the net. Park pulled one back in the 69th minute when a superb Graham O’Leary free was hit with power and accuracy flew into the op corner of the net. Five minutes later good play by substitutes Pa McGrath and Trevor Nagle restored Celtic’s two goal lead. David Clifford scored what appeared to be a consolation goal in the 86th minute. In stoppage time Pa McCarthy beat the advancing Shane Murphy and it appeared that a defender had got back to clear the ball off the line but a linesman’s flag indicated the ball had crossed the line and a goal was awarded.

Park FC: Daragh O’Brien, Martin Bowler, David Magee, David Doyle, Con Barrett, Greg Healy, Owen McMahon, David McLoughlin, Adrian Quirke, Alan O’Shea, Pa McCarthy. Substitutes: David Clifford, Graham O’Leary, Garvin O’Callaghan.

Killarney Celtic: Shane Murphy, Chris Brady, David O’Sullivan, John McDonough, Terence Moriarty, Gary Keane, Peter McCarthy, Robert Watson, Stephen Hayes, Geratus Poketaurus, Chris Davies,
Substitutes: Trevor Nagle, Pa McGrath, Brendan Falvey.


St. Brendan’s Park A

Tommy Moriarty, Martin Bowler, Paudie Baily, Adrian Quirke, Con Barrett, Fergal Maunsell, Wayne Conway, David Conway, Mark O’Sullivan, Pa McCarthy, Stephen O’Sullivan, David Courtney, David Clifford.

Denny Premier A
A Red day for the Park

Camp United  2 - 1  St Brendan's Park 

Park have only themselves to blame for this defeat, their commitment was questionable, they had no leader on the field of play and both teams spent the game bemoaning the referee’s decisions. Four players were shown red cards, two following a goal mouth melee, one for an illegal two footed challenge and one for a player who verbally expressed his views on the referees display, it could have been six red cards as two players were on yellow cards when they committed other infringements. Considering all the above this is going to sound ridiculous, but it was never a dirty game. James Scanlon gave Camp a two-goal lead with penalties on either side of half time and Stephen O’Sullivan pulled one back for the Park with minutes left to play.

Munster Youths Cup
Park Youths win in Limerick

Geraldines (Limerick)  0 - 1  St Brendan's Park

Tralee side, St. Brendan’s Park FC, advanced to the quarter final of the Munster Youths Cup following a 1-0 victory over Geraldines (Limerick) in January 2013 The Park started slowly which left the home side with most of the early possession but they failed to use it to their advantage.
Park settled and took the lead in the 20th minute when Ryan Carroll started the movement when he passed the ball to Jack Savage, who side stepped two players before passing to Ivan Parker who drilled a low shot to the net from the edge of the box.
After this The Park settled into their usual game and were unlucky not to score two more goals but Jesse O’Sullivan was denied by excellent goal keeping. While it was a good overall team performance there was outstanding performances from Greg Horan, Ryan O’Carroll and Fionn Coakley

Jesse Stafford-Lacey captains Ireland

It is a great feeling when a member of your club is selected to play for Ireland. But there is no description to express the feeling when that player captains his country in two U16 Internationals.
Jesse Stafford-Lacey had a good game against Estonia in Listowel and an amazing performance when he wore the captain’s armband in Celtic in Celtic Park two days later.
In the second game he controlled midfield and when he demanded the ball, he got it and you knew it was going to set up another Irish attack. Club coach Danny Diggins said “when Jesse goes on the field, he wants to do everything, and he does it better every time”

Munster Champions League
Park Must Improve

Tile King (Cork)  0 – 3  St Brendan's Park

Even though Park won they know that they must improve if they are to advance in this elite Munster competition because three goals is a poor return for a team that created twenty-two chances.
The first goal came after four minutes when Martin Bowler waltzed past several challenges to lay off the ball to Michael Conway who slotted it to the net past the advancing keeper. Adrian Quirke made it 2-0 when two defenders collided when trying to clear the ball out of the danger area.
The second half was more of the same and when the home side were reduced to ten players, they knew it was not going to be their day. The Park got their third goal when Aaron Eager Moriarty scored from a Ryan Downey free kick that was not cleared properly

Park; Jamie Kelly, Martin Bowler, Chon Barrett, Shane Brosnan, Ryan Downey, Michael Conway, Mark O’Sullivan, Fergal Maunsell, Adrian Quirke, Pa McCarthy, Anthony Murphy. Reserves Dan Robinson, Aaron Eager Moriarty, Paudie Baily

Under 16 SFAI Cup Final
Park so close in Battle of the Saints

St. Kevin Boys  2 - 0  St. Brendan’s Park

The superb game was played on the excellent Wayside Celtic grounds in Dublin where there was a huge Park support to cheer on their history making squad who were the first team from the KDSL to reach a National Final.
St. Kevin’s had four internationals in their squad, and they were always going to be a difficult team to beat. Park opened brightly and began harrying their Dublin counterparts all over the pitch.

Gearoid Savage and Emmanuel Abubakar were doing well in midfield and following a good move involving these two and Fergal Ryan it led to Luke Moynihan shooting just wide. However, when St. Kevin’s got into their stride, they showed how dangerous they could be. Ross Nally was the first to go close and when he crossed for Neville Keegan whose volley was well saved by Conor Hurley in the Park goals.
In the 20th minute, The Park defence dithered on the ball and Jamie Kelly picked out Neville, who looked certain to score, but Hurley did well to push the ball away. This was followed by a succession of corners for the Dublin side, but the Park defence were rock solid.

Despite limited possession Jesse Stafford-Lacey was showing his class in midfield and almost played Ferdia O’Brien in, but Tracey was quick off his line. Ryan was close again, minutes later, after being put trough by Karl Mullins.
However, in the 30th minute Park’s hopes suffered a big blow. Eoghan Morgan had gone forward from the back for a corner and when The Park did not clear the ball quickly enough, he dispossessed a defender and crossed for Keegan who volleyed an overhead kick. Hurley went full length to his left and got a strong hand on the ball, it looked like a fantastic save but he was very unlucky to see it rebound off the post and into the net.
The Park were unlucky not to equalise when a free by Stafford- Lacey clipped the last player in the defensive wall.

The second half was again played with both sides creating half chances. Karl Mullins and Fergal Ryan were trying hard to get behind the St. Kevin’s defence – but were denied by a well drilled back four.
Park’s defence were also strong with Jamie Clifford and Stefan Okunbor both outstanding while Gearoid Savage was letting nothing past him and was very creative going forward.

Park brought on Andrew Philips, Kieran Carmody and Sam Tarrant who almost made an instant impact but pushed the ball just too far ahead and the chance was gone.
St. Kevin’s were being pushed back and Okunbar beat a number of defenders, but his final pass was intercepted, and the chance was gone. Park pushed forward for an equaliser in the first minute of stoppage time when Kevin Clarke pounced on a loose ball and blasted it to the net to wrap up the game for St. Kevin’s Boys.

The Park and their management were devastated but Graham O’Sullivan and David Magee were proud of their players when saying “the boys have been brilliant all season and did everything we asked them to do. Yes, we came up a step short, but we showed we can live with the best, and the future, for these players, is bright”

Park FC under 16 squad

Kieran Hurley, Stefan Okunbar, Gearoid Savage, Ferdia O’Brien, Jamie Clifford, Sequin Duylie, Luker Mpyniohan, Emmannuel Abubakar, Fergal Ryan, Jesse Stafford-Lacey

All Square in Local Derby

St Brendan's Park  2 - 2  Tralee Dynamos

There are local derbies in all leagues that are fought with pride, passion, and survival of the fittest. In Scotland you Glasgow Rangers and Glasgow Celtic, in England you have Liverpool and Everton whilst in Kerry you have Tralee Dynamos and the Park which was contested with the intensity expected from these two great rivals. It was a game that was excellently refereed by Stuart Templeman who used a combination of the implementation of the rules of the game at the highest standard and common sense.

Park got the first chance of the game, but Josh O’Reilly was equal to Fergal Maunsell’s effort. Dynamos settled quickly and attacked up both wings with Danny Roche and Jonathan Hannifin stretching the Park defence. It must be said that Park matched Tralee Dynamos in all sectors for the opening half hour but both sides were guilty of missing goal scoring efforts. The opening goal, by Geratus Poketarus came in the 31stminute when Jonathan Hannifin and James Sugrue exchanged passes before Hannafin switched the ball to Poketarus who volleyed to the net from twenty five yards out from where he was hugging the side line for finish that is a contender for goal of the season.

After Park had missed several chances for the equaliser Tralee Dynamos increased their lead when Danny Roche, who was the playmaker supreme, won the ball and laid it off to Stephen Conway and took the return pass which he drilled low to Theo Diggins whose finish from thirty yards defied the best efforts of Jamie Kelly in the Park goals.

The high tempo of the first half was carried over into the second half and several yellow cards were issued to players from both sides. Park knew they had to get the next goal and following a number of goal mouth clearances they got the goal they deserved in the 70th minute when substitute Ferdia O’Brien, who had replaced Jesse O’Sullivan ran onto a Graham O’Leary cross to score from eight yards. This gave Park the lift they needed, and they forced Dynamos to defend deeper. After creating a few chances before the equaliser came from a Graham O’Reilly corner, in the 76th minute, that was finished from twelve yards by Con Barrett. It was ended to end football for the remainder of the game as both sides went for the all-important lead goal that eluded them.

Park: Jamie Kelly, James O ‘Sullivan, Con Barrett, Martin Bowler, Gearoid Savage, Graham O’Leary, Jesse O’Sullivan, Mark O’Sullivan, Michael Conway, David Courtney, Fergal Maunsell. Substitutes: Ferdia O’Brien, and Segun Duyville for Jesse O’Sullivan and Martin Bowler.

Tralee Dynamos: Josh O’Reilly, Maurice O ’Rahilly, Mark Fitzgerald, Jonathan Burrows, Jonathan Hannafin, Theo Diggins, James Sugrue, Stephen Conway, Jamie McIntyre, Danny Roche, Geratus Poketarus, Substitutes: Anthony Murphy and John Faragher for Poketarus and Diggins.

Park u13 side win Shield in Manchester

The Park u13 side did the club proud with their performances in Manchester. They drew their first game against their Academy side from Derbyshire despite having numerous chances to win.
They followed it up with a 1-0 victory over the Elite Academy from Cheshire thanks to Cianan Cooney. Goals from Leon Daly, Jack Twamley and Cooney gave them a 3-0 win against PFA Manchester, but they went down 3-0 in their group game.
This qualified for the Shield play-offs with Earnan Ferris the goal scorer. The Park were excellent in the final defeating Barton Wanderers (Norwich) 2-0 with goals from Earnan Ferris and Leon Gallagher

Denny U17 League Final
Park 17s defeat Listowel Celtic in Final

St Brendan's Park  5 - 1  Listowel Celtic

The Park, once again, displayed the quality of their coaching system when defeating Listowel Celtic 5-1 in the Denny U17 League Final. This result by the Tralee side is more impressive when taken into consideration the fact that St. Brendan’s Park FC lost thirteen of their players to the Kerry u17 SSE League of Ireland squad.

SSE U17 League of Ireland squad (2020)
The Park have always encouraged their players to make themselves available for the squads representing Kerry in the u17 SSE League of Ireland Squad and the following players 13 players, out of a total panel of 20 players, were selected in 2020

Gavin O’Brien, Liam Carmody, Robert Vasiu, Sean O'Connell, Adam Sheehy, Ryan Guerin, Samuel Aladesanusi, Jack Twamley, Cianan Cooney, Sean Kedzierski, Dan Fisher,Ronan Teahan, Cian Brosnan.

1971 - 2021
The people at the helm

In the early days St. Brendan’s Park FC, have had important contributions from many individuals including Jerry Clifford, Denis Hehir, Percy Prendiville and Chris Nugent along with major contributions from the Naughton, Kelter, McLoughlin and Dowling families, Park FC has become one of the biggest, and most respected, clubs involved in Kerry soccer.
A special thanks is extended to the St. Brendan’s Park Residents Association who supplied the timber for our first set of goals which were constructed by Danny Diggins (Senior).
We are fortunate to have great chairmen in Conor Maguire, Tim Leahy, John Hoare, Colm McLoughlin and George Dineen, who continued the work of providing the facilities that are in place today and are still improving our facilities with plans for the addition of a full sized all weather pitch.

Thanks to our Club President and one of our clubs founding members Christy Leahy for his extensive work and commitment to compile this fantastic collection of match reports and news articles. They no doubt will bring back many great memories for so many people that have played with and against our many teams and those that have supported St. Brendans Park FC throughout our 50-year history.

More coming soon...