Our U15’s were less than a minute away at the end of normal time of going through to the last 16 of the National Cup. 3-2 up with only seconds to play Lucan somehow managed to barge their way to one last chance which, unfortunately for our lads, they took.


U15 squad that played Lucan in the National Cup
U15 squad that played Lucan in the National Cup


This really was a thrilling contest. The Park took the lead through Calvin Foley emphatically smashing the ball to the net after their keeper could only parry the original effort.


1-0 it stayed until shortly after the break, when Lucan equalised through a powerful header direct from a corner. It was a big set back as we had been very comfortable since taking the lead.


Our lads responded very well and good passing and movement forced Lucan’s centre half into a rash challenge 25 yards out. A “Duggie” special was just what we needed and he curled the free kick brilliantly into the top corner.


U15 captains before kick off
U15 captains before kick off


Again, we took control of the game, but yet again Lucan scored from their next corner. The initial cross was well contested but from the break, Lucan got 2 or 3 chances to get a strike away and eventually the ball was hammered home to make it 2-2 with 30 minutes to go.


10 minutes later, it was 3-2 to the Park, Jesse Staffford Lacey ran on to a great through ball and hit a screamer from the right hand edge of the box into the top left hand corner. An incredible goal that deserved to win the game.


Safe hands by the Park keeper
Safe hands by the Park keeper


That looked to be that as again the Park dominated, until the last minute that is. The ball bobbled around in midfield and we had good chances to clear the ball, we didn’t and Lucan’s strong centre forward initially bustled his way through before very calmly finishing to make it 3-3. In the circumstances, it was a very good finish.


Onto extra time and in the first minute, Duggie burned the defender with a brilliant turn inside the box. The defender paniced and hacked Duggie down for a cast iron penalty. Duggie took the penalty himself and buried it low to the keepers right. Back in the lead, 4-3 to the Park.


Lucan upped the tempo and responded immediately with a few minutes of good pressure. They were rewarded with 5 minutes of the half to go when their centre forward was judged to have been fouled in the box. The spot kick made it 4-4 and we looked set for penalties.


Neither team created anything of note until the last minute of extra time. Lucan’s substitute striker got clean through, the ball through was more accident than design, but he brilliantly finished to the net to give Lucan the lead right at the death.


Just like in normal time, there was no time for the Park to reply. How harsh sport can be sometimes and if ever there was a game where neither team deserved to lose it was this game.


Lucan to their credit showed tremondous spirit to come back from being a goal down 4 times to eventually win the tie at the death. The very best of luck to them as they continue their journey in the competition.


As for our lads, we can’t be anything but proud of the effort they put in. The quality they showed yesterday and throughout the competition means they can rightly be proud of themselves.


They’ll be back and they will learn from this experience.

Got a Question for us?


Club Secretary: Colm Mc Loughlin
Phone: + 353 87 934 8441
Email: info@stbrendansparkfc.com
Address: St.Brendans Park FC, Buntalloon, Tralee, Co. Kerry

Eircode: V92 V250